Today we will prepare this recipe for fresh shrimp broth, an ideal dish for when you want to eat a good hot meal with seafood and spend those cold days.
This delicious dish is prepared with dried shrimp, is economical, yielding and we invite you to cook it now with us!
- 500 grams of raw shrimp in their shells
- 4 tomatoes
- ¼ onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 3 epazote leaves
- 2 ancho or poblano peppers
- 4 guajillo chiles
- 2 morita chiles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups of water
- Wash and devein the shrimp, keep the shells, put them in a pot over medium-high heat, add 6 cups of water and add the garlic and onion. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- While the above mixture is cooking, add the diced tomatoes, onion and garlic to a hot skillet to roast. Stir occasionally for 8 minutes to roast evenly.
- Once onion, tomatoes and garlic are done, place in blender along with chiles. Blend for 3 minutes or until thick and smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the diced carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking out of the pan.
- Pour in the tomato sauce using a strainer. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 more minutes. Then, using a strainer, add the shrimp and shrimp broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the epazote and cook for 3 more minutes, adjust the flavor of your fresh shrimp broth by adding salt and freshly ground pepper.
- If you notice that the garlic is overcooking, remove it as it can burn and give a bitter taste to the preparation.
- Always keep in mind that you should chop the carrots and potatoes in small cubes so they cook better and avoid having big chunks in the broth.
- Once you notice that the shrimp turns light orange but looks firm, it is ready. Don’t let the shrimp overcook or it will have a rubbery texture.
- You can serve your fresh shrimp broth with bread, tacos and tortillas and add a few drops of fresh lime.