Veracruz style shrimp broth is a meal that can be easily found in any Mexican seafood restaurant. However, there are people who prefer to prepare it at home to season it to taste by adding chili, salt and pepper.
Below we will show you a recipe for shrimp broth that is very delicious and easy to prepare. As good as the one you can get in any restaurant.
- 600 grams of dried shrimp
- 4 dried chilies
- 3 garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 potatoes
- 3 carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 and a half liters of water
- Wash and devein the shrimp by making a cut with a knife on the top, rinse again with plenty of water removing the remains of the intestine.
- Cut the tomatoes in medium squares, add the 4 dried chilies, the 3 peeled garlic, a cup of water and blend for about 3 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots, then cut them into medium to small squares.
- Pour the shrimp into a pot, add enough water to barely cover the shrimp, add the potatoes and chopped carrots along with 3 tablespoons of salt. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the sauce prepared with tomatoes, stir occasionally. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Once ready, add the sauce to the pot where the shrimp are, stir and let cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the preparation of chiles and tomatoes blend well until you get a homogeneous mixture without lumps, this will help to have a better consistency in the broth.
- It is essential that you chop the potatoes and carrots into medium to small squares, this will help them cook faster and not overcook the shrimp in the mixture.
- Add a sufficient amount of salt, we recommend at least 3 tablespoons as this along with the chiles, is what will season your Veracruz style shrimp broth.