Today we will prepare this practical Colombian shrimp cocktail recipe, a fresh appetizer, very easy and quick to prepare!
In this dish, we season the shrimp with fresh lime juice, hot sauce and black pepper. The result is simply spectacular!
- 500 grams of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seafood sauce (ketchup will also work well)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Hot sauce
- Black pepper
- Crackers to serve
- In a bowl, put the shrimp along with the salt and baking soda, mix a little at a time and make sure to coat the shrimp, then set aside in the fridge.
- In another bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon lime juice, mayonnaise, ketchup, red onion, hot sauce and freshly ground black pepper, mix well and then set aside.
- Place shrimp in a pot, add 3 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of lime juice, turn heat to medium and cook covered.
- Check the temperature from time to time with a cooking thermometer, once it reaches 80 degrees Celsius, lower the heat to low and cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 7 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp and then rinse under cold running water, drain again and then add the shrimp to the sauce pan, mixing well until they are coated with the sauce.
Finally you can accompany this delicious and fresh dish with crackers, pita bread or toast, do it as you like. We hope you enjoyed it!
- For this Colombian shrimp cocktail recipe we recommend using cold water shrimp because it has a stronger flavor compared to regular shrimp. (We use peeled Atlantic shrimp).
- You can add any hot sauce you like to add a little kick, we suggest not using Sriracha because the garlic flavor of it will overpower the sauce.
- The real Colombian shrimp cocktail has a strong onion flavor, but you can adjust it to your liking by adding as much onion as you like.
- When you drain the shrimp, make sure there is no liquid left, otherwise the sauce will be watery and will not cover the shrimp well, you can dry them with a kitchen towel.