Today we will teach you how to prepare this refreshing shrimp cocktail recipe Veracruz style, a dish that when you try it will make you feel like you are enjoying one of those beautiful beaches of this beautiful Mexican state!
With this recipe you will be able to prepare 4 servings of this delicious Veracruz shrimp cocktail!
- 500 grams of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup spicy red jalapeño pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup ketchup sauce (ketchup)
- 1 and ½ cups tomato puree
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- Hot sauce to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cook the shrimp in a pot with 3 liters of boiling water for 3 minutes, until they change color, remove them and put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Mix the tomato puree with the ketchup, add the orange juice, salt, pepper, chili jelly and stir until you get a sauce halfway between the puree and the juice.
- Finely chop the onion and cilantro, cut the avocado into small cubes and dip them in lemon juice to prevent them from turning black.
- In a tall glass, add a splash of lime juice, a portion of shrimp and then dip them in the hot sauce.
- Finally, add the avocado dipped in lime juice, a portion of cilantro, onion and ready, enjoy your shrimp cocktail Veracruz style!
- Pay attention to the cooking process because the texture of the overcooked shrimp is similar to rubber and is not what we are looking for in this recipe.
- For the Veracruz shrimp cocktail we are looking for a sauce that is lighter than the puree but thicker than the juice, add little by little the juice or puree needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add a few drops of the bottled hot sauce to your Veracruz shrimp cocktail and enjoy it with some crackers!