Today we bring you a delicious shrimp cocktail with octopus, which along with other types of Mexican seafood cocktails, you can typically find in any street cart in the coastal areas of Mexico.
This one just like any other delicious seafood cocktail or campechana is served with the broth in which the seafood is cooked, obtaining a really spectacular flavor by adding chili peppers, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- ½ kilogram of shrimps, deveined and without heads
- ½ kilogram of octopus, cleaned and de-veined
- 5 jalapeño peppers finely chopped
- 1 ½ cucumber, finely chopped
- 4 red onions
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Juice of 8 limes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce
You may also be interested in:
- In a large pot place enough water to cover the octopus along with ½ onion and garlic cloves. Once it boils add the whole octopus. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until soft. Add salt to taste during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Place 2 liters of water in a medium pot, add the celery stalk, ½ tomato, ½ onion, 1 clove of garlic and salt to taste. Once the water boils add the shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, separate the shrimp from the broth and set both ingredients aside.
- Chop remaining onion, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, cucumbers and jalapeño peppers. Cut the lemons in half. Once the octopus is ready, remove from the pot and cut into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the shrimp and octopus, divide into 8 equal portions and serve each portion in large cocktail glasses.
- Add ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, the juice of 1 lemon and pepper to taste to each glass. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, chili, tomato, chili, cilantro, cucumber, hot sauce and ketchup to taste. Add enough shrimp stock and a few drops of olive oil.
- Stir well and garnish your octopus shrimp cocktail with chopped avocado and add hot sauce. Serve with crackers or toast.
- In addition to shrimp and octopus, you can use squid, scallops, oysters, etc., any mixture you like.
- Alternatively, get any seafood mix which you can often find in the freezer section of your grocery store.
- For the shrimp cocktail with octopus to be tender, remember not to overcook the shrimp for more than 5 minutes, and also check the texture of the octopus in case it needs more cooking time.