Today we bring you this recipe to prepare Campeche coconut shrimp, a characteristic dish of this region where unique, original, delicious and exquisite dishes are prepared.
These shrimp are crispy, seasoned and with a spectacular texture!
- 1 kilogram of jumbo shrimp
- 3 green apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 lemons
- 200 grams of flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cup corn cereal
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered seasoning
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot with boiling water pour the apples previously peeled and cut into cubes with the sugar, cinnamon and a little water until soft and then set aside.
- Remove the shell from the shrimp, leaving the tail and with a sharp knife open the shrimp by the back and remove the veins. Marinate the shrimp with the lemon juice and seasoning for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, milk, eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper until a thick paste is formed.
- Dip the shrimp in the paste, then dip them in the coconut mixed with corn flakes and fry them in a skillet with very hot oil.
- Place your Campeche coconut shrimp on paper towels and serve with the warm apple pieces.
- You can substitute the evaporated milk for regular liquid milk, this will not considerably alter the flavor of the seasoning of your shrimp.
- Other shrimp that you can use to prepare the Campeche style coconut shrimp are extra large shrimp, you can find them very easily in any supermarket in your area.