Today we will prepare delicious shrimp a la diabla with juicy ketchup and bathed in a delicious bright red chili sauce.
Let’s make this practical and tasty recipe in about 30 minutes, and get ready to discover its spectacular flavor!
- 800 grams of large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 dried guajillo chiles, rinsed, stems and seeds removed
- 1 jar (369 grams) ketchup sauce
- 3 dried chiles de árbol, rinsed and stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl or saucepan, add the dried guajillo and árbol chiles. Then add very hot or boiling water until the chiles are completely submerged.
- Cover the pot with a lid or large plate and let stand for 15 minutes, until the chiles have softened.
- Transfer the softened chiles to a large blender. Add the ketchup, garlic, onion and salt. Puree until completely smooth. Adjust the flavor, if the sauce is too spicy, add more ketchup.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and shrimp. Cook shrimp for 1 minute per side, or until slightly pink.
- Add the red chili sauce to the skillet and stir to coat the shrimp. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and hot.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve your delicious shrimp a la diabla with ketchup on its own as an appetizer or with rice and salads.
- You can substitute hot sauce for the chili peppers and mix it with the ketchup, adding a little black pepper as well.