Today we will prepare some delicious and tender dried shrimp with nopales in a chili and garlic sauce, a simply spectacular dish and very special for the Lenten season.
- 20 dried shrimp
- 10 chopped nopales
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 5 guajillo chiles
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet, add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- When the garlic is browned, add the seeded guajillo chiles, sauté stirring occasionally and once they are browned, remove the chiles and garlic from the pan.
- Add the finely chopped nopales to the pan and stir the mixture constantly for 2 minutes.
- Sauté shrimp in another skillet over medium-low heat until lightly pink, 1 minute.
- In a blender, add the thyme, chiles, garlic and blend until smooth and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the nopales and onion mixture, add the chili sauce and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce is slightly consumed.
- To intensify the flavor of your dried shrimp with nopales, remove the heads from the shrimp and grind them together with the chiles and garlic. This way you don’t lose the flavor in each shrimp, but it absorbs into your sauce and sticks to your nopales.
- Use a kitchen tongs to remove the chiles and garlic from the pan once they are done.