Today we bring you a recipe to prepare delicious shrimp empanadas Nayarit style, a very easy to make dish with a spicy and delicious flavor, characteristic of the rich cuisine of this Mexican state.
- 500 grams of shrimp
- Enough oil for frying
- 500 grams (3 cups) of masa (batter)
- 5 guajillo chilies
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of shrimp powder
- 1 liter of water (4 cups of water)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Huichol sauce to taste (Optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot of boiling water over medium heat, cook the chiles and shrimp shells for 4 minutes, once they are ready, separate the shells from the chiles with the help of a strainer.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 cloves of garlic, stir, and once the garlic releases aroma add the previously peeled and deveined shrimp.
- Add 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper and cook the shrimp until they turn pink, remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Place the chiles in a blender with ¼ cup of water from the cooking broth, blend until smooth, use a strainer and pour the paste into a medium bowl.
- To prepare the dough, add the shrimp powder to the flour, ½ tablespoon of salt and integrate everything, then add the chili paste little by little and knead very well.
- Make balls with the dough and form 12 centimeter diameter pancakes with your hands, place them on a plastic sheet (bag), add 2 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture on each pancake and fold to close.
- Flatten the edges of your Nayarit style shrimp empanadas and fry them in a deep frying pan with hot oil over medium heat.
- To make sure your Nayarit style shrimp empanadas don’t break when frying, make sure the dough is moist enough so it doesn’t crack, remember it should also be a semi-hard but manageable dough.
- You can add huichol sauce when you prepare the dough, this will give it a better taste than adding it directly to the shrimp filling.