Discover our most complete recipe to prepare a delicious and potent red shrimp pozole in the best Mexican style!
- 800 grams of medium fresh shrimp
- 200 grams of dried shrimp
- 9 dried guajillo chile pods, seeds and stems removed
- 2 dried chile de arbol pods, seeds and stems removed
- 2 cups clamato cocktail
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 kilo of corn
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons shrimp broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- Put the corn in a large pot along with 1 clove of garlic and the onion, then add enough water to cover and cook until popped (takes 45 minutes to 1 hour), then discard the garlic, onion and season with the shrimp stock powder.
- Peel and devein the fresh shrimp, reserving shell, head and tail, then reserve these shrimp in the refrigerator.
- Put the shells, heads and tails of the fresh shrimp in a pot along with the dried shrimp, 1 clove of garlic and ½ onion.
- Add 2 liters of water and cook over high heat, once boiling reduce it and simmer for 20 minutes. Rectify the broth flavor and let it cool.
- Add the oil and cook the chiles in a skillet over medium heat for 8 minutes or until softened, then let cool slightly.
- Remove the dried shrimp from the broth, peel and place the shells, heads and tails in the blender container, reserving the shrimp meat.
- Remove the shells, heads and tails from the fresh shrimp and add them to the blender, add the chiles with the water in which they were cooked and the oregano, mix well and strain the sauce over the pot of popped corn.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the shrimp broth and discard them, pour the broth into the pot with the corn, season with pepper, cumin and salt to taste, let everything simmer for a few minutes until the flavors have combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat, pour in the clamato cocktail and add the dried and fresh shrimp. Let the fresh shrimp cook for 5 minutes more with the residual heat of the broth.
Add shredded lettuce, dried oregano, chopped radishes and a dash of lemon juice to the preparation.
- If you want to save time in the preparation of your red shrimp pozole you can buy pozolero corn and add it directly to the pot along with the fresh and dried shrimp.