Today we will prepare a broth originally from Veracruz, it is the Chilpachole de Jaiba y Camarones (Crab and Shrimp Chilpachole). It is an ideal dish for lovers of typical Mexican food.
To make this thick broth we use corn dough or tortillas, which together with the guajillo and chipotle peppers result in an explosion of flavor to the palate! Come and let’s cook this dish now!
- 500 grams of shrimp in shell
- 4 whole crabs or blue crabs
- 1 cup crab pulp
- 5 dried chipotle peppers, dehydrated and seeded
- 3 guajillo chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 red tomatoes or red tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of coarse pepper
- 2 corn tortillas
- 4 cups fish broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the crab until reddish in color, then set aside.
- Dice the onion, dice the tomato into eighths and thinly slice the garlic. Finely chop the guajillo chili, remove veins and seeds. Mix and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the dried chipotle chili with the previous preparation, add the coarse pepper, the corn tortilla chips and cook until they are roasted.
- Mix the previous preparation with 2 cups of fish broth until you get a semi-thick sauce. Strain this sauce and cook with a little oil in the same pan until it boils, stirring constantly.
- Add the rest of the fish stock, the crabs you reserved earlier, add the crab pulp, the shrimp and cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove your crab and shrimp Chilpachole from the heat, serve, garnish with cilantro, serve with lemons, totopos and enjoy its flavor!
Chilpachole is a dish originally from the state of Veracruz. The main characteristic of this soup is that it has a strong flavor, product of the mixture of chiles it contains. It is an ideal dish to enjoy during Lent!
- In addition to serving it with tortillas, you can serve the crab and shrimp chilpachole with rice and beans.
- The tortilla chips, besides adding flavor to this crab preparation, will help thicken it.