Today we will prepare one of the most popular recipes from the Pacific coast of Mexico, mummy shrimp.
They are also known as shrimp fiesta and they are very easy to make, you just have to stuff some nice big shrimp with cheese, wrap them in bacon strips and fry, bake or grill them!
Stay with us and learn now how to prepare mummy shrimp step by step in a simple way!
- 1 kilogram of U12 shrimp or extra large shrimp
- 24 slices of bacon or turkey bacon
- 400 grams of manchego cheese or the one you like
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and clean the shrimp very well. Make a cut along the back of the shrimp and remove the black vein with a toothpick or fork.
- Season the shrimp in a bowl by adding 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper, mix and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Once seasoned, stuff the shrimp with the cheese in the opening you made in STEP 1. You can cut the cheese into strips similar in size to the shrimp.
- Wrap the shrimp tightly with the Bacon strips so that only the tails are exposed, in case you have preserved them.
- Once wrapped, bake the shrimp in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 °C. If you prefer, you can fry your wrapped shrimp with a little oil in a frying pan or grill them if you want to give them a smoky touch.
- Serve your mummy shrimp with fresh spinach leaves, an avocado, tomato and onion salad, rice or chips.
Fiesta shrimp, mummy shrimp or wrapped shrimp is a very popular dish in Nayarit. If you liked this dish be sure to check out how we prepare some good stuffed shrimp.
- To ensure a better experience preparing this recipe, we suggest you buy U12 shrimp, otherwise you can also use Jumbo or U15 shrimp.
- Another cheese that we recommend you use to prepare shrimp wraps besides Manchego is Gouda cheese since they have a similar consistency and flavor.