Today we’ll prepare a shrimp molcajete with chicken, carne asada and jalapeños. It’s a complex dish to prepare but we’ll make it easy for you with these steps.
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 pound of roma tomatoes
- 8 chiles de arbol
- 2 serrano peppers without stems
- 1/3 white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup water
- Salt and oregano to taste
FOR THE ADOBO
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon chile de arbol chili powder
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup olive oil
YOU WILL ALSO NEED
- A large, deep molcajete
- 18 grams of rib-eye steak
- 220 grams of boneless chicken breast
- 8 jumbo shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 180 grams longaniza
- 1 poblano chili, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 150 grams of panela cheese
- Previously roasted prickly pear cactus
You may also be interested in: Shrimp Aguachile in Molcajete.
- In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the sauce, except the garlic and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 minute or until the tomato skins begin to open.
- Let cool, then peel the tomato skins, remove seeds and zest. Add all sauce ingredients to blender, including ½ cup cooking water. Blend on high speed until smooth. Set aside.
- In a molcajete, add the garlic cloves, salt and grind to a paste. Gradually add the cumin seeds, peppercorns, oregano and grind to a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place the stone molcajete on a comal or cast iron griddle over medium heat. While it is heating, place steak, chicken and shrimp on three separate plates.
- Divide the marinade among the three. Make sure they are evenly coated and let them marinate while the molcajete heats up.
- Meanwhile, preheat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté peppers and onions for 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, fry the jalapeños, adding a little more oil and cooking until the skins of the peppers have blistered.
- Cook the shrimp, chicken breasts, longania and steak on a griddle over medium heat until cooked through. Remove and slice meats.
- Place the hot molcajete on a trivet or wooden base on your table. Pour half of the sauce in the bottom, place the meats in the molcajete on top of the sauce, add the panela cheese, peppers, onions, nopales and jalapeños.
- If you want to save time preparing this delicious mixed shrimp molcajete, use canned tomatoes to prepare the sauce.
- The chicken breast cooks in about 12-13 minutes, the beef fillet cooks in 7 minutes (for medium rare) and the sausage in 8-1 minutes.
- Shrimp cook in 5 minutes turning every 2-3 minutes until golden brown.