Today we bring you a recipe to prepare shrimp stuffed with crab, a dish characterized by its rich mixture of ingredients capable of providing a delicious combination of flavors and textures to the palate.
- 800 grams of peeled, deveined and tailed jumbo shrimp.
- 500 grams of crab meat
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 3 thin slices of white sliced bread, toasted
- 1 celery stalk with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh chili bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- Hot sauce to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Spread the toasted bread with butter while it is hot and finely chop it.
In a medium skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add celery, chili, shallot, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until tender, add ¼ cup vermouth to deglaze, then remove the mixture to a bowl to cool. Add the crabmeat, minced bread, Old Bay, lemon juice and hot sauce to the bowl; mix well with your hands.
- Place the shrimp butter side up on a greased baking sheet, then spoon the crab mixture into the base of the shrimp and rest the tail on top of the filling. Bake over low heat, 10 to 14 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, add the vinegar and vermouth over low heat, add the shallot and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until reduced by half, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in 4 tablespoons butter until incorporated. Return the skillet to a simmer and whisk in the remaining 12 tablespoons of butter, one at a time. Stir in the lemon juice and chives.
- To serve, pour the sauce from your stuffed crab shrimp on each plate and place 4 shrimp in the sauce with the tails toward the center.
- To give that spicy flavor to the shrimp stuffed with crab you can use the chili bell pepper of your preference, one of the ones we like the most is the piquín, although for this type of dish it also works very well the chile de árbol.
- Remember to bake over low heat until the shrimp are pink and firm, this should not take more than 15 minutes, the crab meat will also be cooked in that time.